For my heaviest users of OLab3 on this server at https://demo.openlabyrinth.ca/, I wanted to give you guys a heads-up about a few upcoming things.
This server is getting quite slow and bogged down at times. Yes, we all want to migrate to OLab4 asap… still getting a few hiccups on that… coming soon.
Sadly on this OLab3 server, some of the slow-downs seem to be because of memory leaks in the Kohana framework on which OLab3 is based. We also have some heavy class loads coming up so we are making a few wee changes so that this server does not slow down too much.
We hope also to give you access to some alternatives. Anyway, these are the important points:
- The demo.openlabyrinth.ca will be rebooted periodically to clear the memory leaks. The usual time for this will be 06:00 UTC.
- This will not be everyday. We should be able to set up a cron job so that it only happens one day per week, probably Sunday mornings.
- Over the next couple of weeks, it may happen more often as we prep for some big groups of students.
- Please contact me if there is a class or exam or whatever coming up that you want us to avoid.
- We have been working on some alternate servers that you can also use. These will have largely the same code and functions. Initially the database of cases will be mostly the same between them but they do not share a database so cases developed on one will not automatically show up on another. Thank heavens for import/export and MVP.zip files.